Sunday, March 20, 2022

The Running of the Birds

It’s all gone to the birds!

The Saffron tribes head to market.

The high plains of Locust 5 are home to several species of large bird-like creatures. Some are good eating, some have been tamed for carrying goods, and others are even large enough to ride. Regardless of how they are used, they are a vary common sight on this world.

I’ve owned these minis from Parroom Station for years. I purchased them at either Gencon or Origins in the mid 2000’s back when I played a lot of RPGs. I thought they’d make a great alternative to horses. I used them here and there, but they just stayed bare metal throughout those uses. I finally decided it was time to paint them up!


The feet started red... but it was too much. 

I based them on a few pictures I found of the dodo bird. It was exotic enough to not just be an ostrich or an emu. They’ll probably end up mainly as objectives, or background minis… but I’m happy to have them done and available for proper use now! 


Tried to vary the colors on the goods.



8 comments:

  1. Cracking additions to the painted collection!

    They're really characterful and I can imagine they will come in very handy in games as objectives, obstacles or whatever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They've been floating around so long I'm glad to just have them complete.

      Delete
  2. I like the models and the paint scheme. There's something inherently weird and cool about enormous birds. The pack versions are particularly good. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just received my Crooked Dice kickstarter, and in there was a few more giant birds. Apparently the world I'm building just has a bunch of them, and I'm totally ok with that!

      Delete
  3. Oh, they are gorgeous! Fantastic looking creatures and splendid work on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really like how they turned out. Been slowly trying different techniques on organics, and I think I'm finding my groove.

      Delete
  4. oh I have a giant bird from Northstar miniatures that needs painted! now i'm going to have to go looking for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! ... wait Northstar has giant bird? I may need this...

      Delete