Monday, June 19, 2023

Pirates with a Cause

If you haven't already seen it, Aidan from the Warfactory started selling some new STL models, the Ventolin Pirates. Absolutely fantastic models, who's proceeds are being used to help Ukraine. I couldn't pass these up these fan sculpts of a oldhammer original and rushed a few to the paint table:


Since I already have some pirates painted up for Stargrave, I figured I'd have some fun testing a few potential color schemes. The first thought of was doing something with the blue and yellow colors of Ukraine. I immediately thought of the old blue and gold matching uniforms the X-men wore back in the 90's, and that model was set. For the second model my buddy suggested some very 80's scifi Chris Foss Dune concept art for inspiration. That in turn made me think of the original Alley Viper from the G.I.Joe line; a figure so cool with such great details and accessories we all overlooked the fact it was bright orange. I was a little worried the colors could be too much, but I absolutely love how it turned out!


When it came to painting them I did my normal zenithal highlight, followed by a base of transparent colors. Then highlighted him up. The model was a fantastic print and a lot of fun to paint. Wonderful crisp details that came through even with an older resin printer that's been causing problems lately. Funny thing about these two completely separate ideas... the blue ties them together! So now I'm planning a to paint a bunch more all using Cobra Viper colorings for inspiration. After all, they are pirates; no one says they need to match!

These guys are starting to paint themselves...

So that all said, do yourself a favor and go get a set of these guys. Fantastic models, a good cause, and a joy to paint. As you can see, I've already started on a third myself... 

6 comments:

  1. Definitely cool! Oh, the Alley Viper reference was as unexpected as awesome! I Can't unsee it now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! Glad you know of Alley Viper, as I'm unfamiliar which models made it outside the US. I probably should have just posted a comparison picture!

      Delete
  2. Very cool! It never occurred to me to paint them in different colour schemes, but it works brilliantly on this pair with the blue tying them together. Yellow boots is such a fashion statement too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Axiom! The matching colors were a total accident. I didn't know how to paint them, so I picked two random references. Now I'm going to roll with it! More bright boots for sure!

      Delete
  3. They look really nice! The colours all work very well. It's a shame I don't have a 3D printer, else I'd be very interested!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toby! Until recently I've preferred getting models in the mail. However overseas shipping has gotten stupid and I'm starting to pay as much for shipping as I am for the models. The 3D printer is going to start paying for itself very quickly.

      Delete