Thursday, December 22, 2022

For Drew Day Williams!

This post is sort of a two part post, but let's start with the joys of Christmas! I painted this fine lady for my buddy as a Christmas Gift:

I didn't see the hair on the nose when I took the picture...

No exchange or anything; I just saw this model when released and knew exactly what I wanted to do with it. My buddy was estatic when he opened her up. His response was "I really need to get that display cabinet built now!"

I've seen Suber do a paint exchange in the past, and figured I'd join in the fun. My buddy BRM130, who got me back into the hobby, has slowly been working on a bunch of Noise Marines over the past few years. So when this model was released I grabbed a second one and hid her away until recently when I primed and painted her up. I was able to secretly get my buddy's paint recipe by asking some unrelated questions.

The green hair is a little Joker looking... but that's his spot color.

His formula is rather simple: Darken the whole thing, drybrush with metal, go over the metal armor parts with purple contrasts, white face, gold trim (on chaos marines, so guitar here), and bright green spot coloring. Usually he does the spot colors as the weapon discharge, but I applied it to the hair instead. 

My buddy sent me over a squad photo!

My buddy is a good painter with lots of experience. He still likes army games though, so he's found some really cool shortcuts he uses to get squads done quickly. I've learned a few things from him since I got back into the hobby.

"Are you ready to rock and or roll?!?!"

The model itself comes from Satyr Studio's and Drew Day Williams. Drew is one of my favorite modern sculptors, and if you are an oldhammer fan you likely have some of his models. He's done work for several companies including Oldschool Miniatures, Skull and Crown, Hybrid Miniatures, and sells from his own page. This model was part of a limited run of female marines he completed some months ago. 

That brings me to the sad part of the post: this week Drew revealed he's been diagnosed with a tumor. While scary, it's fortunately not yet life threatening. However this will put a huge medical burden on him. Being an artist in America is very tough on the wallet when it comes to medical issues and insurance. So, if you are like me and are a fan try to find some way to support Drew this holiday season. Doesn't need to be financial, could be as simple as a post or just hanging out and saying hi when he's live on twitch. 

Ways to Support Drew: 

Thanks!

7 comments:

  1. That's a really cool model. I especially like the guitar pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toby! I'm excited to paint a whole squad of my own... once I settle on a color pattern. And yes, the pick of destiny!

      Delete
  2. Epic. Makes me think of the latest series of stranger things and rocking out in the "other"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks DaveB! My wife went with Beetlejuice, but totally that vibe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally see the Beetlejuice colour palette there.

      Delete
  4. So many things to say today. First of all, I have to praise your initiative. This kind of giveaways is always cool, so well done, pal.
    But the paintjob is even better! Pretty nice job!
    Sorry to hear about the bad news, I'll see what I can do, and I'll spread the word.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suber! You gave me the ideas with your secret santa's in the past. :) The colors wouldn't have been my choice, but I do like them! I'm trying to get a shot of the squad from my buddy to show what I matched her to.

      And thanks for the help! I figure anything we can do to help someone from the community makes the community that much stronger.

      Merry Christmas to you as well!

      Delete