Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Searching the Stars - Eldar Adventuring Party Part 1

When I started the Summer of Eldar project there were lots of ideas. The main focus was of course to finish painting some of the base coated Biel-Tan in the display case. I also painted up some Alai mercenaries I had started/collected. While those were great, I still wanted a Stargrave crew. I though of a crew of Corsairs, or just bulk out the Alai more; and then inspiration struck.

Here we have the beginnings of my Eldar Adventurer and his exodite companions. So far it's only modeling, but since they are some pretty extensive conversions I figured I'd show them off. 

First is the adventurer. I picked up an incomplete warlock, and figured it was a good start. My buddy suggested that maybe they left the craft world to follow some unfavorable vision the Farseer's didn't agree with. When I received the model it was missing its staff and a hand. The feet were also messed up from where the staff used to be so I swapped them out with a pair of scout feet (see bug exodite). I decided to arm it with a mysterious orb and in the other hand I a more exotic weapon in a Neuro Disruptor. Added a backpack and a hose for the mask... then a whole lot of green stuff to fill in damage and blend things together. 

Damage repaired, ready for adventure.

Backpack is from... jetbikes or something? Cut down slightly.

Hose was to give it those Rogue Trader art vibes.


Next up is my first attempts at some exodites! I used the Jess Goodwin artwork to try to build the Eldar, and then had this idea for a bug man who co-exisits with the exodites of their homeworld. The bottom half of the Eldar is a scout, and the top is a wood elf. I blended the two with green stuff. Then I added a slung lasgun. I figured it would fit more than the lance in the original sketches. Finally he got a sling and a broach to really bring it home. 
Exodites, doing exodite things. 

The bug exodite was an idea I had. It started with the base of an Eldar scout, but I removed the head and feet. Then I added some reconstructed leg bits from a genestealer. The head was from the genestealer cultist sprues. I cut down the gun to make it look more like a shotgun. Then a lot of green stuff layering to repair damage, blend the feet, modify the hands, and mold a bit of an abdomen sticking out. The head was a bit more work adding some antennas, and what I tried to make look like a retracting hood. 

Sorry, no dinosaurs... this time. 

Backs don't need to be boring.

Finally, I have all these Space Apes from Adam Devitt. I thought one would look cool as a bit of a gladiator who's joined the group. So I hacked off the head, replaced it with a 3D print, and fixed him up with green stuff. Also modeled a belt, helmet crest, and bit of armor. Finally his rifle was swapped for a Eldar axe. 

The Champion!

Some adventuring bits on his belt.

So that's it for now... onto the painting! There's even another un-modified model to bring the crew up to five. More on that next post!





4 comments:

  1. Wow!! That's an inspiring work! The four of them are awesome, but my favourite is the bug. Pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The bug got close to what I had in my head. Maybe that hood is a little too thick... but I'm learning with green stuff!

      Delete
  2. I really can't wait to see how they turn out when you paint them, Hobbs. A few other random thoughts: (1) so happy to see a Neuro-disruptor in action. They were the coolest and rarest of Rogue Trader weapons; (2) I am also working on an Eldar band for Stargrave - great minds etc. etc.; (3) It's a great idea to hybridize Eldar with wood-elf sculpts. I think that will add something very special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matthew! I'm looking forward to painting them too! Just trying to work out my colors/patterns.
      1) I had the same thought when I found the neuro-disruptor in bunch of bits I had laying around. It was so exotic it was perfect. Couldn't believe someone had cut if off an old harlequin... but through ebay the bag of parts are mine!
      2) Excited to see what you come up with! Been loving your series so far!
      3) Funny: when I bought the wood-elf I used I thought it was perfect; but my buddy was skeptical (mainly of me hacking old lead). He was surprised how it fit so well once I was done.

      Delete