Sunday, May 22, 2022

Three Drones Meet at a Cave...

Since the Last War, production of new weapons and equipment is limited. So it's fallen on most to rely on arms dealers who resell salvaged equipment. While not great for an organization who doesn't have much of a budget, it does help balance things out as there's only a limited number of goods out there. You just have to know the right Arms Dealer to get what you want... and hope you can reach a reasonable bargain. 

Two drones attempt to hold back the Feldspar drone from emerging from hiding

I know I hinted at some something for the Alai to work with... but while I was waiting for them to dry I knocked these minis out. 

First up is one of the models that really drove me to pick up some Vor The Maelstrom models. This drone not only looked fantastic, it came with all sorts of options for how to assemble it. After pulling together my favorite version, I noticed there was still enough left build a small security drone. It may be small, but it can pack a short punch.

Paint wise I went with a white base like my other mercenaries weapons. I'm imaging that white was the favored equipment color choice for the ruling government prior to the Last War. I broke that up with a blackened steel color to some of the parts. Then I finalized it all with some weathering. I figure it's old re-purposed equipment after all. 

They were still too clean, so I looked for some water transfers to label the auto turret as the "Mark 14" I had rattling around my head. Nothing fit, so I just threw one on free-hand. While I was at it I added a little warning to the opposite side. Not to be left out I added a roman V to the drone in a red circle. It's now a Pattern V Reconnaissance Drone

Pattern V Reconnaissance Drone, and Mark 14 Security Drone

One of these things is not like the other one...

Better view of the V

I also painted this Magmite miniature from Northstar Figures. I really like this mini, but I wanted to do something different from the lava monster everyone paints it as. I was going exotic, but I thought why not just a rock monster? So I hit it with the contrast Color Aggaros Dunes. That was a bit plain, so I thought back to my geology days and decided to add some Red and Green contrast spots. All that was blended together with a shade of Agrax Earthshade and a drybrush of bleached bone. It may be just a hair too dark... but I love it regardless. 

A rock creature native to Locust 4 known as a Feldspar Drone

Back end is dark due to the zenithal highlight

Hrm... sales of surplus military goods of questionable legality means I need an arms dealer... 

6 comments:

  1. Oh, pretty nice! I didn't know any of these minis and they are great, I love all of them! I can't really tell who's my favourite, you did quite a fantastic paintjob, each one in their own style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! I'm trilled how they turned out. So much so I'm keeping an eye out for more of these little drone types.

      Delete
  2. As Suber said, great work on the drones. But my eye was really caught by the Northstar Magmite. Glad to hear that you are using your educational background to help your modeling. A degree in Religious Studies never helped me paint nuthin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Just trying to be inspired for interesting color patterns. I'm sure there's something in those studies that can help you. It's weird where inspiration comes from.

      Delete
    2. Boy is that ever true. I once painted a poodle skirt on a miniature because it looked a little like a girl I knew in high school who loved 1950's fashions.

      Delete