Wednesday, April 13, 2022

A Craftworld Sighting!

My very first ever Warhammer 40k army was this Eldar Biel-Tan Craftworld army. Created during second edition, it served me well until 3rd came around. At that point most of my 3-4 model aspect teams needed updating to 5 model squads. It wouldn't be the last time my armies would become invalid under a new edition, but it certainly annoyed me enough to move on. So for a while it shelved the whole army, and started a new army of marines

I like to imagine they come from the part of the Craftworld resistant to change.

The forces made a resurgence for a short time during late 3rd or early 4th edition. I had slowly collected the missing models, got them based up for a few games. Sure, some of the figures were only base coated or primed, but they were a legal army again. I just never got around to fully painting them before I exited the hobby as a whole for over a decade. 

Now that I have them lovingly displayed in the case, I figure it's time to complete the missing forces. It's sure to be a fun little challenge as I'll need to try my best to match 20-25 year old painting styles... right down to the emerald green bases. I plan to filter these onto my painting table throughout the year. First up I decided to practice on some guardians that have been waiting for some love. 

"Ah, the 20 year service mark. Time for a new set of armor."

Interesting note: At some point GW decided to move from the old lasguns to new shuriken catapults for the hole army. Since these monopose models were still the primary guardians, they released a new box with alternative arms. I didn't have those, but wanted to upgrade anyway. So each of these models had the front part of the lasgun cut off, and the front part of a shuriken catapult from the weapon sprues of the time glued onto the front. Hence you get a really long looking catapult! 

I even got the green felt out for the occasion!

As you can see with the grey bases, the models were already base coated. Since I learned a lot of tricks in the decades, I decided to deviate a bit from history and hit them with contrasts and washes to really give them some depth. From there I started highlights. I even did a little freehand on the unit markings and some lines on their sashes. It quickly became apparent that these models look better than the other finished guardians; but that's totally fine. It will be very cool to see where I came from to where I am today in this army. They'll still match through coloring. 

Much to my dismay, the emerald green bottle of paint had dried up. I think that was the third bottle. I had a spare sealed one, so I opened that up to finish these guys. I guess I'll need a suitable replacement soon.



This group got little hearts on their shoulders as well.

I'm really stoked about how they turned out, and can't wait to move onto some additional projects. I have a few ideas lined up already. Also, it turns out my buddy is also working on some Eldar projects. After some  discussion he has dubbed this year the Summer of Eldar! Join us in bringing your elves to the table!

Some day I'll take pictures that really show how well I highlighted them.



These guys got little triangles on their shoulders to signify they are guardians.


6 comments:

  1. Wow, is that a very old Falcon grav-tank you've got there? That's properly old! They look much better now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very old Falcon grav-tank! I even still have the box. I think I got it from a convention in the 90's. I love it!

      Thanks! I'm not happy with the pictures, but I'm very proud of the models. More elves to come!

      Delete
  2. Lovely looking Eldar and the reworked bases really give them an awesome 90's vibe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They're straight out of the 90's! Just FINALLY finishing them the way they should be.

      Delete
  3. Ooooh, I love these Guardians! The looong shuriken catapult gives them lots of personality!
    And that Armorcast Falcon is ace! I do need more pics of all your army!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! I plan to continue showing the army over the next few months as I touch them all up and finish out squads!

      Delete