Monday, April 18, 2022

A Couple of Spacers

In seedy dive bars across the sector a rumor is stirring. They whisper that several heroes of the Last War are banding together. There are all sorts of theories as to why, but they all have one thing in common: Hope.

A Salvage Company guard waves off a couple of Mercenaries.

A few weeks ago Axiom at Magpie and Old Lead painted two figures just because he felt like it. After finishing up the guardians I felt like painting more. I had these two figures sitting there... so I thought I'd follow suit. 

Legend has it during the Last War there was a single soldier who was the lone survivor of three separate battles. His skill, grit, and determination were all he needed to survive to the end. The stories have dubbed him Fortuno, the soldier with Lady Luck as his ally. No one knows for sure what happened to him since the Last War; but most agree he's still out their somewhere. 

Sadly I dropped Fortuno trying to photograph him. 

First up was this great mini from Ramshackle Games. As soon as Curtis posted him I knew I had to have him for my collection. The colors came easy. I knew I wanted his base to be like Cable from the X-men so he could team up with Sarge. I also wanted to paint his arm Red, like Big Boss in Metal Gear Soild 5. Finally, when you think Pancho you think The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Or if you are more of a nerd like me you think the guy inspired by that look... Marty McFly in Back to the Future 3. So I threw all these ideas together and came up with a pretty great figure. A bit darker than I had intended, but great anyway. The Pancho came out perfectly!

You can see the drying glue on his bionic leg,
he'll need some paint touch ups. 

Edit: I've been wanting to paint this model for months! Finally get around to it. Love the paint job, and the results. Name him Fortuno... and as I am taking pictures I accidentally drop him on the floor and he breaks off at the legs. What luck eh? That's what superglue is for though. I'll have to tough him up once he's dry. 

In the Locust Sector of space it's not uncommon to find all sorts of claims in the name of the Ticonderoga Deep-space Salvage Company. Funded by some unknown holding company, they roam the sector searching for their next target to strip clean of any useful parts. Other crews beware though, they are well armed and known to protect their stakes with ruthless efficiency. 

You can see the appeal of the sculpt.

Next up was a test color pallet I tried out on this 3D printed figure: A Steampunk Startrooper by Davikdesigns over on Cults 3D. My buddy picked up a resin printer recently, and has been testing a bunch of stuff. Initially I figured I had plenty of models and stayed away. However then he got me looking around, and I found some really cool stuff. When I ran across these models I decide they'd be my first. Some cool space dudes with plenty of parts I could use in other builds. 

Simple, but effective. 

So this was the perfect test model for a new color scheme. If he looked bad, I could just have my buddy print a new one! Thinking of all the sci-fi stuff I enjoy I knew I wanted a bright base. I settled on yellow, complemented with grey armor plates. Next up I wanted some more futuristic markings. I struggled with colors for the markings for a bit, but in the end decided on white. I'm really happy with how he came out! In fact, I'm going to print a crew of these guys up. They'll make a great force for demo games! 

So that's it for this week. I'm almost out of primed models, so it's time for more building!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Fortuno has tons of personality! I love not only the model, but the McFly reference, what a cool idea and terrific paintjob!!
    I needed a second closer view on the trooper, at first I assumed it was an original Forgeworld Solar Auxilia mini, which speaks highly of the quality of the print! It's a cool one and your paintjob only improved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! Very happy with how Fortuno came out. He's going to need more crew soon.

      I don't think you are wrong with the trooper, he's definitely inspired by the Solar Auxillia. When I decided to buy the 3D print I didn't know anything about the forge world stuff. My buddy told me after. I just thought they were cool prints and a great place to start out with 3D printing. I could see some of the parts showing up in conversions. They have some cool helmet options!

      Delete