Sunday, October 31, 2021

Orktober 2021 - Oh Captain my Captain

 Happy Halloween everyone! Though with that comes the close of Orktober. The good news is I've completed the project and finished the final members of the crew:

Captain Mogran sees the full usefulness of the other ork races.

First up is the most important member of this crew, Captain Mogran. The captain is an old Bad Moon warboss who when I saw knew he was the one. After a few months I tracked one down at a slightly higher price than I wanted... but at least I had him. There was just one thing that bothered me, his pig-tails had to go. After shaving them off and repairing the damage something was still missing. When I saw people like Axiom post their copies of Captain Quirke I knew what it was! He needed a buddy on his shoulder. After going through all the squigs and snotlings I had, I couldn't find one to fit. So I made an attempt to sculpt one. I'm really happy how it came out considering it's my first creature!

It's not professional work, but I love him.

I also put him on some cork to boost him up a bit. I really wanted him to stand out. After that he received the same color combinations as the rest of the crew, and some darker skin like the other older orks. 


Next up is the Gretchin Figgrot. He's another monopose gretchin from 2nd edition I converted. I cut out a section his gun, gave him a new hand from green stuff, more pockets, a backplate, and some googles. I also filed off some details just to make him stand out a bit more. Color wise he's nearly identical to the other gretchin, just in different areas. 

The gun looks much more his size



His details weren't as crisp as the first monopose


Last up is a bonus squig. He was the last one I tried to add to the captain... but didn't work out. He was still on the table, and there was some extra cork... so I based him up and painted him. Not part of the crew, but just a fun little addition. 

The captain likes his pets.

So here they are: my orktober models for 2021, my first Ork warband, stargrave crew, killteam, and some space weirdos all in one. I can't wait to play some games!

"'Member crew: we get the widgetz we get out. Now get 'em boyz!"



4 comments:

  1. Fantastic crew, full of briiant characters and a great colour scheme to boot. The pet shoulder squig works brilliantly. Really nicely sculpted, and I like the integration with the boss with that tail draping down his back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. I’m happy to hear others like him too; I’m pretty proud of him! Guess this means I can go forward with some of these other oldhammer conversions.

      Delete
  2. Wow, pretty cool! You mean that creature is your first sculpt?? :O
    Really top notch work, I love it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber, appreciate it. Yes, it’s my first mini sculpt beyond a replacement part here and there. Came out better than I expected.

      Delete