Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Pulling a 180...

So painting time has still been tough to come by. Long days at work with a new project, and the nearly 30 inches of snow this weekend didn't provide much hobby time. So since last post I've just been pondering my Frostgrave warband. Then two things occurred to me: I couldn't afford all the knights I had planned, and my Reaper miniature collection really doesn't have any non-heroic types. Not Reaper's fault, my collection were all purchased with D&D characters in mind. 

I honestly don't remember any skeletons in this game...

That's when I saw a random Tweet of a streamer starting one of my favorite video games: Shining Force. Inspiration struck and I had a new plan!

So before we get into it I also want to give credit for this change to the Scale Creepers, who recently did a Frostgrave challenge and used some of these figures. Also a special shout out to a challenge from Airbornegrove26. I was recently commenting on one of his oldhammer fantasy chaos knights, and he challenged me to paint one. So here we go:

A pile of classics!

So somewhere along the line I bid on a batch of stuff. I honestly don't remember what, but along with it came all these guys from Heroquest. I didn't know what to do with them, so they just got stored away. Then, as I was watching the play-through of Shining Force, it hit me. I could use these hero quest guys, give them a more simple 16 bit video game style paint-job, and I'd be ready for some Frostgrave!

So looking at what I have, I decided to have a necromancer who's leads a band of Orks. His apprentice will be the blue goblin who looks to have an icicle in his hand. 

Behold!

He'll be able to hire some Knights so I can meet Airbornegrove26's challenge:

Fight me!

And even some barbarian mercenaries if we get far enough into a campaign. This will also let me complete the Leadballoony Fembruary Challenge


I've already started cutting them off their bases so I can make them fit in with my other figures better. Here's hoping I can prime them soon. Though, considering today is  Groundhog's Day which predicted 6 more weeks of winter, AND we had that massive snowstorm... I'm not holding my breath. 

2 comments:

  1. Awesome idea and Shining Force was a fab game!

    The old Heroquest figures paint up surprisingly well too as I find the simple details and poses actually help get to a good finish where super detailed or dynamic figures can be a total pain to get right.

    I like the idea of painting them in 16bit style too as I suspect it could be a really effective and striking finish for them and adding scenery elements would be tons of fun too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Looking forward to this project. Way more energized for it now. We'll see what I can make happen :)

      Delete