Sunday, November 21, 2021

Something is on the wing!

Even though I’ve been a little quiet, hobbying has been progressing! I’ve been trying to get a bunch of stuff prepared for winter painting. The weather around here is already too cold most days to prime with spray paint. So I prep for the days it warms up. However I really wanted to paint something, so I grabbed something I knew would be quick:

Scrap Apes are looking for a meal...

The Scrap Apes are something all ship captains have to keep an eye out for. These curious beasts are not only strong enough to rip open the hull of a ship, they also like to feast on some of the components when they do!

When I was purchasing the Vor the Malestrom soldiers I’m using as pirates, I saw these Whitetusk pups. Sculpted by Kev Adams I couldn’t pass them up; And with the Stargrave book in hand I knew they could be beasts!

Quick, but striking I think. 

When I opened the package I found there was an extra model, lucky me! The only problem was the extra one was missing it’s head. So I decided to give my first go at green stuff casting. I picked up some blue stuff and gave it a go. It definitely lost some of the detail, but that’s probably because I didn’t let things cure long enough. I’ll do better next time!

Green with envy because he didn't have a head

For paint I just wanted to keep these guys simple. I colored them with Magos Purple Contrast, dry brushed them with white, and painted their horns and claws red. To tie everything together I stippled some red dots down their backs. 


I really like how they came out, simple, quick, and they’ll stand out nice on the field. I also think the painting helped the face I copied blend a bit more. 




So now back to building. I also finally broke down and got an airbrush for priming. So now the rattle cans can be saved for terrain! 


5 comments:

  1. They are fun and cool! I really like what you did, the scheme really suits them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! I'm pretty happy with them too. And now I have a suggestion that they can be the base for a Reign in Hell warband...

      Delete
  2. They look great! I especially love the spots on their backs, makes them look really... alive insupposemisnthe only word I can think of for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! When I was done and they were flat I thought something was missing, and so went with the dots. Glad I did!

      Delete
  3. Those are nice little models! The pink colour scheme works well.

    ReplyDelete