Monday, October 25, 2021

Orktober 2021 - It's Not Easy Being Green

Did you ever start spending so much time in an area, things start bothering you and you have to make changes? Happens to me a lot, and this past week it was the basement hobby area I call The Pitt (like G.I. Joe). I organized my video game closet, tore out some old wood supports for a long gone drop ceiling, removed some old furniture that didn't belong, and tossed out a bunch of stuff. Hopefully in anticipation of playing some games soon!

Then I recalled it was Orktober and I had a mission. Here's the results:

A Space Ork crew of mercenaries prepares for a new mission.

About a year ago I got the itch to have a small band proper oldhammer Rogue Trader era Space Orks. Slowly I tacked them onto other ebay purchases and added them to the goblin collection in the GorkaMorka box. I didn't have a project in mind, I just wanted to add them to the collection. So it was quite a surprise when Orktober rolled around and I noticed I almost had enough for a proper Stargrave crew!


Joining my goblin this post are four additional crewmates. From left to right you have:
  1. Brom the Broken: A runtherdz who was missing his stick when he arrived. I'll use him as the first mate, an old grizzled ork loyal to his captain. Gave him a plastic powerfist and shoota. 
  2. Shakbag: An un-modified goblin I really love. Will that pistol explode?!? Probably. 
  3. Zodgul: An un-modified mekboy who got a plastic arm and shoota.
  4. Grubrot: An un-modified painboy who got an old monopose ork arm with shoota. I just really liked how it blended in and gave him a tiny hint of armor.
So last post I mentioned I was having issues with my white primer. I still haven't found a suitable replacement so I stuck with grey primer. After applying the contrast color Aggaros Dunes as a base kaki color I found it had a very olive green look to it. So I ended up using that as the skin base for this group. I envision them as a few old orks who are tired of the Waaagh way of life and have become mercenaries. The orange in their uniforms were looted from a ship they liberated early on. I completed the look with tan, brown, and blues. 




I got inspiration and advice from how Suber finished his orks. With that in mind I decided since Brom and Grubrot are older orks they received darker skin tones. The final piece was the glyph on their back. I found that a circle or skull with an X behind it was the symbol for "Villun, Freebooter, Outlaw, Mercenary". I personalized it with a diamond instead to represent space mercenaries. 



So that's five members of the crew complete. Will I finish by the end of the month? (Spoiler: seems likely). 

'K Boyz, in an' out... by da book. 

PS: I picked up a new photo booth. Playing around with it a bit. I think the pics are starting to look better? 

4 comments:

  1. They are awesome! I feel flattered, glad to know my puny mumblings were of help! These are charming, I love them. The last pic is definitely ace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! It’s all about inspiring one another to keep on hobbying. I’m definitely getting more done lately because of the community.

      Delete