Monday, August 16, 2021

Rock on with Sarge Rockhard!

Airbornegroove26 over at Give'em Lead painted up his own Sarge a few weeks back. When I commented he challenged me to paint up my version. Challenge accepted:

Sarge sneaking his way through some battlements. 

While I was debating a color pallet, this picture of Cable painted by comic artist Khoi Pham popped in my Facebook feed. I've always liked Cable and his soldier out of time background. I thought it was great so I set off using it as inspiration. Thanks Khoi!

Cable as drawn by Khoi Pham

The model was already partially painted black from a previous owner, so instead of stripping it I hit it with a zenithal highlight of white spray primer. I then meant to paint with the contrast color Akhelion Green… and instead accidentally grabbed Aethermatic Blue. It wasn’t until entering it into my color journal that I realized the mistake. A few layers of Skeleton Horde contrast was applied to the belts and pouches. I finished by keeping his gun and mask white. 


I still like how he turned out, wrong paint and all. Has a very comic book look! I am however not sold on the zenithal highlighting. I can see it’s popularity as it does some nice quick shading effects. I like my models more colorful, and the process dulled him down a bit too much for me. 

A wise man once said there are no mistakes in painting, only happy accidents. In this case, I think he was right!

2 comments: