Sunday, June 4, 2023

Fall of the Apes - Part 2

Funny, I called this the fall of the apes because I planned to paint all these guys over the fall. Not that it really matters, as long as I'm having fun. Anyway, onto the minis!

By request: Damn you; damn you all to heck!

The Squatches were primitive beings until they were genetically enhanced during the last war. Utilized for labor and as soldiers, they've become skilled enough to stand one their own. Now with the war over, they seek a new place in the universe. Taking odd jobs and expanding their ranks with similar aliens, they've started to make a name for themselves. 

The first five miniatures I painted in this group are from the Space Apes III: Harambo's Revenge kickstarter. This is how I got most of the apes I painted for this project, but these five were the stars. I really liked that they looked like the core group of a future guard army or something... but they were apes! So I jumped in to grab them and a handful of apes from the previous kickstarters. Very fun minis to paint, and more options for games like Stargrave, Space Weirdos, Planet 28, or countless other Indy space wargames!

I painted them in a similar fashion to the previous apes. Picked different color combinations for each, and even checking out some Wookiees for additional inspiration. Blue was still the spot color; but I also used some white for the equipment. I've been using that as surplus equipment colors left over from the last war. The leader also got a yellow power claw. I wanted it to be industrial looking, and even tried some chevrons. In the end I didn't like them so I went back to just yellow. 




I also took this opportunity to paint up this big old cybernetically enhanced gorilla from Reaper. I've found I'm not a huge fan of the bones plastics. They are too rubbery, and the details end up weird because of it. I went with silverback gorilla coloring, and the black coloring wasn't quite as good as the grease monkey in my first part. However in the end I dig how the model turned out, and he'll be a great addition to the team.


So now I need to name these guys in preparation as my Stargrave crew. I'll probably post something once I do so I have something to reference. For now, enjoy! 



2 comments:

  1. Man, these are so cool! I love them all. THe heavy bolter, the Exitus rifle, the Ork claw... you just made my day :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You are the second person to say the apes made their day. Glad to hear it! They were a lot of fun to paint, and are some great models! Indy sculptors really have a lot of fun with their models and it shows.

      Delete