Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Runs like New - Industrial Robots

After playing a few games of Space Station Zero, we learned the main enemies in the game are robots who were left behind in depths of the station. In our games past games we utilized some of the BattleTech miniatures I have painted up. While they work just fine, I've been wanting to paint up some of my collection of robots as you may have seen over the past few posts. These bots are a little bit different...

So I hear you're in the market for some robots... we're sure to have something to fit your needs.

So one of the things that made me order from Ramshackle Games were these modular robots. I really like the look and versatility of the set! I immediately knew I wanted to use them to create some industrial robots that look like they've been online for a long time. I found a bunch of arms I had picked up from Death Ray Designs as a misprint add-on and decided to mix them in. I figure they could be replacement parts to keep these bots in working order. 


I knew I'd paint two of them industrial yellow, and two in blues. Working around construction will do that. The base models helped decide which were which. 



When it came to painting I decided to go with a weather technique I've seen online. From a zenothal highlight I painted the entire model with a transparent dark grey, except the parts I intended as white replacements. I then dryrushed them in silver which I rusted down using transparent browns. Then the stippling started. 

I stippled all the yellow parts first with a bright yellow, then with a more industrial one. I made sure to leave parts of both colors, as well as the silver exposed. Then I weathered down the yellow with transparent browns. 

Upon completion you really couldn't tell how much work I had put into these parts. So for the blue robots and red replacement parts I did a more tradational (for me) base stipling with highlights. I felt both looked good, and it was a fun experiment. In the future I'll likely use both techniques.




Models were finished up with some eye highlights, and some extra rust. I'm really happy how they turned out! In fact we're almost ready to kick off a new Space Station Zero campaign. Captain Mogran and his slime alies lost too many crew to continue, and thus wandered back to the common area. Two new crews are about to make their atempt towards the center of the station... and it's highly likely they'll run into these rust bots. I may even need more...

4 comments:

  1. Nice work! All the bits combine really well. That sounds like quite a complex way to paint yellow, but I've always found it near-impossible to do, so if it works - great! I used some of these robot legs for some chaos terminator conversions a while back. They were nice sculpts, but I forgot how brittle resin can be...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toby! It was a bit complex, but a cool way of showing chipped paint. That said I likely will try to find something a bit easier next time.

      Delete
  2. Oooohhh! Amazing job! Ramshackle has some quite interesting stuff, glad to see you made the most of these! The technique looks like a lot of work, but the results speak by themselves. Robots FTW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! Not sure the technique was completely worth it in the end. I have some ideas for next time though.

      Delete