Tuesday, October 4, 2022

When your buddy has a 3D printer...

So a buddy of mine I met through wargaming and have been friends with for decades now, got seriously into 3D printing. The benefit for me? I don't need to worry about it. I can just place an order with him. Then one day he was telling me about some prints that failed. I said "oh save them for me!"... and so we come to this:

Garbage? No a wonderful pile of junk to hide behind!

A wonderful pile of junk to wargame around!

One of the Scifi settings I always found most interesting was a good crashed starship or just a straight junk world. Think where we first find Rey in the Force Awakens; or the planet Thor ends up on in Ragnarok. It works well on a battlefield and can have all sorts of setups. Paint it right and it can also serve as wreckage inside a space hulk or in the depths of Space Station Zero. 

Just filling in the gaps to make it look a bit more hap-hazard.

The build was simple.. just glue a whole bunch of stuff onto an MDF base. Most of the pieces you see are angled because of the printing failures. I used that strategically. Then I glued down some plastic mesh I had recovered from a broken screen to look like floor grating. Then I filled up the holes with all sorts of bits: A glue cap, a couple of wire nuts, pieces of broken MDF, bits of sprue, and some old wiring. I finished off the base with some sand in the areas that didn't have grating. 

Somewhere in the drybrushing stages.

Painting wise I went with a black base from a spray can. Hit it with spots of red spraypaint; and finished up with a zenithal highlight in light grey. Then all sorts of colors. Drybrushing of metallics, washed it all in nuln oil, hit some metallics in a couple of contrast colors. I didn't hit the big shell in the middle with anything but a drybrush of white. Then I did a blue contrast followed by a highlight of a lighter blue. I also painted the wires in red and green. (I know green is traditionally a ground; but it worked well so I stuck with it.)

Before the rust effect.

For weathering I just hit spots with some brown contrast colors. I followed some of that up with Army Painter's Rust effects paint. I also have a pot of gloss Biel Tan green wash, so I used that in spots on the floor as though some liquids seeped out. Finally, I finished the sand off with layers of grey drybrushing. 

Rust and leaky liquid stage.

I love it. In fact my buddy just brought over some more miss-prints, so I'm already planning out my next build. Here's some more shots of the completed piece:






Starsearcher and crew hide behind some wreckage while exploring an old Space Station.

6 comments:

  1. That's come out really well. It looks like some huge machine that's crashed and is gradually being stripped for parts. The grating and sand suit it well. A nice terrain piece, especially given that it's junk painted to look like junk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really happy with it. Looking forward to the next pile of stuff!

      Delete
  2. That's a total winner! You placed the bits in just the perfect angle and it all looks natural, messy, ready to play... Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The printing failures helped with the angles it created. I just filled it in to make it look more natural.

      Delete
  3. Wondeful work, Hobbs. That's the sort of terrain that brings a whole game alive.
    I hope the pilot had insurance.

    ReplyDelete