Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Filling up the Battlefield

I finished up some terrain in August for the monthly piece of terrain challenge my buddy and I are working on. While it's finally getting posted in September; I assure you it was painted in August. All it needed was varnish, but rain and other projects kept it from finishing until now:

Did the ship ruin the building?


First up I finished two more pieces of ruined starship hull. I painted them up similarly to the first section. You'll see I went a bit further with the washes; likely due to using craft paints for the base colors. They aren't as easy to mix consistently.  I also played with the linework and paneling a bit. The lines were just taped off and painted, so I got a little fancy. I really like how it turned out, though next time I'll likely try to airbrush them on. The brushed on paint bled through the tape a bit. Finally, I picked out some panels to turn darker grey. I figure they were patched on later after some forgotten battle. 

Ruins of an old Starship

Look, a bush!

Center one was the first I painted... they blend well enough. 

This piece of city rubble was painted up to match the giant head. I figure it's part of that long forgotten civilization. The colors don't quite match as I guess I didn't use the same combination of reds, but rock never fully matches anyway. I also tried to vary the block colors with highlights and washes. I really like how it turned out!

The first pictures I took showed just how shiny the varnish made them. I like to hit terrain with gloss for protection, then go over that with a matte spray varnish. This was fine for the ship hull, but the ruins just look wet. So I had to go back and brush on some more layers of Matte. I did the same for the ancient statue. Thank you Vallejo Mecha Varnish Matte! Cheap but effective.

Too wet looking...

Much better!

Little bits of moss and grass growing here and there.

Varied blocks.

Close enough!

That's it for this post. Back to finishing up more Eldar! 




6 comments:

  1. Those look really good. The matte varnish definitely improves it a lot. Are these pieces 3D printed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The red pieces were 3D printed (bought off ebay). The ships were MDF kits bought from etsy. Painting some field terrain just in time for some games in a space station! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty nice! The MDF stuff looks excellent, but I'm in love with the ruins and the richness of those reds/browns. Really sweet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Everyone does greys (including me and my basing!). I figured I'd do something different for my world and bring some reds into it. Particularly for the ancient ruins.

      Delete
  4. Love the red brown colors on the ruins, really sharp looking! Those MDF bits are great too! Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Trying to make the table look good but also trying to fill it up quickly. Always had some place to play in the past. Now I have a table of my own!

      Delete