Sunday, June 26, 2022

Challenge Complete - #JusticeforGary

Over on the Oldhammer Facebook page they are holding a challenge called #JusticeforGary. It's simply a challenge to paint up a model sculpted by Gary Morley himself! A cool concept, and there is a prize, but I just like joining in to paint something new and different. So here's what I came up with:

Two Elder runners secure the objective


These are two old Dark Eldar Mandrake models, now re-purposed to be Stargrave Runners for my growing Alai Mercenary Corps. More details on them after the jump. Also, keep reading and you'll see I didn't stop at two models...

I'm always up for a good challenge, as it gets you looking at things you would haven't thought of otherwise. So I started looking around for a Morley model that could fit one of my current projects. Eventually I ran into the old Mandrakes from the Dark Eldar line. I knew they would make good runners for my Eldar with their pose and light armaments'. 

I like what Gary did for the models, giving them a sort of bondage look as though they've been tortured and brainwashed into service. However that Dark Eldar theme really didn't the mercenary look. I don't see them as completely evil, just more morally neutral. So I did some slight conversion work.

Less S&M and more weird scifi. 

The model on the left simply had his gun knife cut off, some neck details removed, and a visor added instead of an eyeless mask. The model on the right was much more extensive. I removed the gun blade (why do Dark Eldar need so many blades?), and a lot of the straps running down the stomach and leg. Just too many for my liking. I finished him up with a little green stuff to fill some damage, and a face mask and new eye to make the face match a bit more. 

It wasn't a perfect conversion process, as some of the details were rather small. So I tried to hide some of my more questionable spots with paint. In the end I'm really happy with how they came out! The more maroon/purple is what I'm using as a leather. I went with this since technically runners have no armor. I figure the only real armor is the turquoise colors that blend them in with the other Alai. 

I win my hair back and forth...

Along with the Mandrakes, I got this wych I planed to make a stargrave recruit. I didn't like her hair as it was blocking her face. So I carefully cut it off, and spun it around. In the process the end broke off so I just sculpted one back in with green stuff. I also cut off the gun blade like her companions. 

While I was painting the others I also completed a Rogue Trader Space Elf with some sort of cannon, and a Ghost Warrior. They were already on the list to expand my Alai forces as they are some of my favorite models from the time. I really wish the Eldar still looked like these guys... I guess I'll have to keep collecting oldhammer stuff. 

Two of my favorites from the original line

So I'm at a full roster of 10 for the Alai... they were supposed to be an optional backup for another Stargrave captain I'm modeling up. Perhaps it's time they get a captain of their own...

4 comments:

  1. I was to say what a great conversion work on these and what a lovely paintjob! But then I saw the RT Eldar and, oh, man, I have such a soft spot for those minis... Really cool job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! Yeah, the RT Eldar are my favorite too... but I wanted to highlight the Morley models for the conversion. I'll highlight the crew more when I come up with a captain for them.

      Delete
  2. I love that colour scheme, Hobbs. Your miniatures just pop right off my computer screen.

    I totally agree about the original Eldar! I've just finished painting mine and will be posting some pics soon - but frankly, my colour choices are nowhere near as interesting as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matthew! Been working hard to try to showcase and photograph the models better. Seems to be working.

      Also, all credit to the original Rogue Trader team. The Alai come straight from their pages. I just selected the colors I thought best fit. :)

      Delete