Monday, May 16, 2022

Soldiers for Hire - Alai Mercenary Corps

There are many groups of Mercenaries in the galaxy willing to work for the right price. For some that prices is simply the right compensation, while others may seek out the right cause. Then there are Eldar mercenaries. No one knows why they show up or what motivates them. Most would agree that you don’t want to wind up opposed to them. So a group showing up on Locust 4 can spell nothing but trouble…

Eldar mercenaries search through the wreckage of a ship for some unknown reason... 

The Summer of Eldar continues with these five well armed Eldar mercenaries! It's a squad that has been in the que way too long, but are finally finished. They sport the colors of the Alai Mercenary Corps which turned out to be just as much fun as I thought!
The squad was originally conceived for Killteam 2018. I had collected a bunch of old Rogue Trader Space Elves, and I wanted to create a team out of them. I figured it was the perfect opportunity to use a bunch of different models with differing loadouts, and get some cool 80's colors on some models. I picked this weapons platform trooper to test some colors because a) that case could carry anything and b) somehow I have a bunch of these. 

Just testing colors

I picked out a few of his squad-mates from my collection, and started doing research for what was needed to fill out the squad. Looking back I can see my photo gallery is filled with Eldar ideas around this time. I made it as far as blocking out the colors on these guys before the project got put on hold, for numerous reasons. 

My first models with contrast colors... sitting base coated since June 2019.


A few months ago when we conceived the Summer of Eldar, I knew I had to get these guys completed. I'm sure they'll end up in some games eventually, but even if they don't they'll make a great addition to the display cabinet. However I wasn't quite happy with having an identical pair of minis in the group. (I think I spend too much time reading Axiom's posts over at Magpie and Old Lead.) This was especially true when I noticed I already had one official variant in the group, so three of the same base models!

Same model, two variants.

Their squad watches the surgery from the background.

At first I decided just a head-swap would be the ticket. I had a scout I was cutting up for a later project, so he seemed like the perfect donor. I just used some greenstuff to blend in his neck, repair some back damage from removing the peg, and extended his sash for a little more variation. That wasn't enough though, so I also decided on a back banner. I'm normally not a huge back banner fan (at least not the sail type), but I was watching some samurai stuff and thought one in that style could be cool. Somehow I never acquired a banner pole for these guys. I did however have a bike mounted Autarch arrive in a bundle of bits though. So I cut a slit into the peg that should hold the banner... and it fit perfectly! 

Base painting was pretty well done. I just had to brush prime the new bits, and clean it all up. Then added highlights and details. Towards the end I thought they needed more pink spots, so I added stripes to the helmets. Then at the vary end I wasn't going to give them any gem stones as they aren't craftworld... but they just didn't look like proper Eldar without at least one. 

Same base model - three different versions. 

The little wakazashi is one of my favorite details. 

The banner I'm really happy with. It's all contrast colors and free-hand. I was trying to get the color to match with the armor, but contrast vs base paint wasn't working. However then I thought that the colors of different materials are very hard to match. Since it's a banner it's likely silk or some space equivalent. Once I realized that I was quite content with the look. 

The arm mounted fusion cannon is for sure a favorite model of the time. 

Sure, the helmet is hidden. Still needed stripes. 

So what's next? Hint: Eldar mercenaries aren't going to work with just anyone...

8 comments:

  1. I remember these guys from the Rogue Trader book! This is proper Oldhammer 40k! Very nice colour scheme, and the head swap works well, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toby! I came in just past these guys in the early days of plastics (my last Eldar post), but I had a few that still had some of these ascetics. So I really wanted to start colleting a little force of them since I came back. There will be more. lol.

      Delete
  2. I think the headswap works a treat. You wouldn't know it was a conversion and it's a great way to add variation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, and thanks for all the inspirations from your site. You make it look easy, so I'm hoping some of my conversions work out as wonderfully as yours. This was a simple one from what I have on the desk...

      Delete
  3. These are awesome. We all know that Axiom is a bad influence (XD), but you proved to do an excellent work on these. How much do I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! He is, and it's getting worse with parts on my table... but I don't mind.

      Delete
  4. Love the color choices here and the conversion work is aces too. Great looking little squad, would be super fun to face off against them in any skirmish game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Strawfoot! They have some friends incoming, so they should be in full fighting form soon! Just say when and where :)

      Delete