Tuesday, January 26, 2021

In search of a good wizard

With some family issues still looming overhead, and an extra busy work schedule, I haven't been able to find but a few hours to sit down and paint. That doesn't mean I haven't had any time to hobby though! 

By https://ospreypublishing.com/

So for Christmas I received a copy of Frostgrave second edition. I remember my buddy trying to use first edition to get me back into miniatures several years ago. I think we even got my brother a copy as he's always been in and out of mini's games. Sadly, that's as far as it went. 

This time around, I really want to play some Frostgrave. Killteam is fun, but if I'm going to stay consistent in the hobby, we'll need to mix it up. Plus, I know plenty of role-players who we may be able to sway into the hobby though this sort of middle ground. 

That's when the problems started. See I made a rule to myself (and my wife) that I'll keep any mini purchases to a minimum. I have PLENTY of lead and plastic sitting in boxes waiting the paints of life. The issue with Frostgrave is that I have only limited fantasy minis. A majority of my collection is 40k sci-fi stuff. So I went through boxes, and tried to put a cohesive group together. Nothing stuck, mostly because the most important part of this is the wizards. I just don't have many wizard-y types in my collection.

Then, just a bit ago, I was looking through boxes. I was trying to put together a group from some Middle Earth minis I had laying around. To my surprise, I had packed away a few other minis in these boxes. The Saving grace being four additional Warlord Crusaders.

Look! There's even nine so far!

So finally I have some figures to put together! I'm looking forward to painting these up, and will be scouring the internet for some paint schemes as soon as this post is done! Sorry guy who's mostly painted. You never got finished, so you're being re-purposed with new colors. Speaking of mostly painted guy:

Why so shady?

Thats better!

So at the suggestion of my buddy to get better lighting when snapping mini pics, I picked up this thing:


It was only $5 at Five Below, a discount-store chain in the states. I wasn't sure what to think at first, and it has a hard time fitting on my phone with the beefy work case I have. That said, the picture does look better! We'll have to see how it makes out in future posts. 

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing how your Frostgrave project goes!

    I've been tempted to give it a bash a few times but not got further than having picked up the first edition rulebook.

    It's worth taking a peek at Guerrilla Wargames channel on Youtube who played a campaign and it really helps with getting a hang of the rules!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully we get to play by late February. My buddy and I are both considered “essential workers” so we were lucky enough to get our vaccinations. Now I just need the weather to cooperate so I can prime them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look up Dark Alchemy, it’s a solo campaign of three missions to teach you the rules to tide you over until then!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I got that when Osprey gave out Frostgrave 1st ed. for free. I'll have to check it when I get these guys field ready.

      Delete