Friday, January 8, 2021

First Post - The Background

 Hello, and welcome to my hobby blog! In an attempt to get myself organized I decided to detail my progress by running this blog. Hopefully it helps because 2020 lockdowns kept me working on house projects. Therefore there was almost no progress; save some organization of the hobby area. 

Here's some quick bullet points about me:

  • Started gaming in the mid 90's with historicals. 
    • Prior to that there was an attempt to paint some minis with enamels for a D&D game that never really happened.
  • One of the guys brought me into a "beer and pretzels" game called Warhammer 40k. 
    • I could not legally drink at the time.
  • I was immediately hooked and started my first army, Eldar (that's it... it's all they were known as in 2nd).
Eldar... Mostly painted.

 Had to expand squads in 3rd. 

  • I was really into the hobby into about 4th edition, and have several standing armies to show for it.
  • I met a new gaming group who were really into RPG's, and spent over a decade solely painting minis for those games. 
A few D&D and Star Wars Minis
Some Star Wars and D&D minis I painted

  • At the tale-end of 2018 my buddy told me about Warhammer 40,000: Killteam. While time would prevent me from playing full games of 40k ever again, this skirmish game was a way to get back to a hobby I loved. 
  • We were working on planning a campaign... when the world came to a halt. 
  • Spent most of lockdown working on my house, re-siding the garage, and turning the porch into a sun room. 
  • Now I'm ready to get back to things, and pre-pare for an eventual post COVID world!

So the question becomes where do we start? Easy, with this blog. I figure if I set a goal to publish an update a week, it may help me focus to get some of these projects done. Otherwise I'll have nothing to say. So for the next few updates I'll detail my Genestealer Cult Killteam progress, as it was never finished. 

The First Generation Cultists


My second ever "army" started with a $25 fleamarket purchase at Historicon in about 1996. I got a whole pile of cult models: hybrids, pure-strains, and even a large patriarch. After playing Eldar for a few years I was stoked to get this army rolling. I had planned it out to have infected the local Imperial Guard, and started painting up a bunch of the figures. That was right up until 3rd edition dropped, along with the army listing. 


After a few years on ice, I started painting it again with the intent to field it as a "Chaos Cult". I intended on using hybrids as mutants, guard as traitor guard, picked up some militia, and even painted up some infected marines! It was also about then I met the new gaming group which put these guys back in the cubbyhole.

The cult to date, plus a bunch more to be modeled.


When my buddy got me back into Killteam, I was thrilled to find that not only was the cult back... it was thriving. In my next post I'll detail the models that have joined the Killteam squad.

No comments:

Post a Comment